Service is an important part of Scouting. This sections of the website will identify ongoing service projects that Troop 23 is committed to performing and special opportunities that arise during the year. Service can be to the Charter Organization, the community or to specific organizations.
If you come up with a service opportunity, please email the Committee Chair, Scoutmaster and Senior Patrol Leader with the idea. Once approved it will be added to the website.
The following is a list of ongoing Service Projects:
- Scouting for Food (happens every April and done in conjunction with the Pack).
- Flag in Dormont (Flags are placed on West Liberty Avenue and Potomac Avenue on selected holidays). See Troop calendar for details.
- Mt. Lebanon United Methodist Church Flea Market Set-up. Happens in November and June each year.
- Troop 23 has been helping the Brookline Christian Food Pantry operated through the Brookline Presbyterian Church on Brookline Boulevard for many years. The Brookline Christian Food Pantry operates the second Saturday of each month. Their hours are 8 AM to 9:30 AM to bag food, and 9:30 to 11 for food distribution. Bagging food requires the most labor but there are always jobs to be found during distribution. If you are interested in helping in any way, please contact Nevin Kelly or Kevin Kelly.
- Opportunities to help the Mt. Lebanon United Methodist Church's food pantry and other feeding programs are also available. We are asking that our families bring in a food donation the first Tuesday of every month. We will indicate on the calendar the suggested food for the month, however you can decide to bring anything. We hope that this becomes a "habit" for the scouts and their families.